Sunday, November 18, 2007

Quick Tip

I have mentioned it a few times now so I thought I would explain...
Bell Pepper and Onion Mix

I buy Bell Peppers on sale, and chop them up and freeze them on a flat sheet then after they are frozen individually, I put them in a plastic freezer bag for quick use. I do the same with onion. I keep one bag of plain onion, and one mixed bag. The mix ratio is below:

1/2 Onion and 1 Bell Pepper

This mix is just so easy and so quick, I just cut them up when I am already cutting up the items during the regular week. Then when I am in a hurry I just pull out a handful and use as needed from the freezer. I also keep the pre-shredded cheese in the freezer for quick use as well.

1 comment:

Monique said...

I, too, cut up and freeze my onions, but I never considered mixing the onions and bell peppers. In most of the recipes that come to mind, the peppers would be welcome or are already included, so I'll definitely try this.

I also really like the idea of putting the shredded cheese in the freezer. I'll use a lot less a lot more often if it isn't threatening to grow mold.

Speaking of freezing things you only occasionally use -- I have a friend who started freezing her half-n-half. She uses a novelty tray with little bitty "cubes", and drops a couple of them in her coffee in the morning (and gives one to the cat). It doesn't separate or taste weird, like milk does -- or so she says.

Monique