Friday, November 16, 2007

Friday Night Dinner

Tonight was "Friday Night Dinner" which we have with my parents every Friday night, or almost. Lately we have been busy, so tonight was the first night in a few weeks that we had the opportunity to all enjoy this tradition. We usually branch out and try new dishes, and every once in awhile we have more traditional meal. Chicken Fried Steak is a family favorite, and I make it only a couple of times a year. Once in the fall, once in the Winter, and maybe once in the spring, it requires a cool evening as it heats up the kitchen. It is always worth it! Tonight's dinner was a wonderful dinner, and I often claim it as Kansas Traditional Meal. Although, I think in Texas they claim it as their own. I have heard rumors that in Texas they called in CFS, but in my house it is all squished together as ChickenFriedSteakMashedPotatoesn’GravyPEAS! It has very deep roots in my house, deeper than in my husbands Texas house hold. In fact when I met my husband he didn’t even know that you could make it at home, he thought you could only buy it in a restaurant. At the time he didn’t know that it was my favorite food and that I rarely order it restaurant because I know it will not be as good as my own or my parents (which differs even between us). He has now seen the error in his ways and has a clear understanding of the difference between the home version and the restaurant version. Now, your probably wondering how can it differ so much in a family. My dad likes to just flour his cube steak, as where I like to triple-dip, flour/milk/flour. I once branched out and tried a recommendation of a TV food personality, and pre-soaked it in milk. All I can this is they must buy really tough meat, because when I pre-soaked my cubed steak from the top-quality meat counter at the local grocery store it fell apart. Tonight's dinner was so good, and worth every last fatty-bite!

No comments: