Saturday, September 6, 2008

Applewood BBQ & Bistro


Applewood BBQ & Bistro
Originally uploaded by KS Girl
What a great little find in Southeast Shawnee County/Topeka, KS. The BBQ was served dry, with sauce on the side. I personally like this kind of BBQ, lets me flavor it as little or as much as I want. They had three different sauces, mild, hillbilly, and spicy. We did notice the difference between hillbilly and mild. Spicy was good, but not overly hot. It had some spice to it, but I wouldn't say it had much heat. Brian and I had split the platter, it came with pulled pork, brisket, 3 Pork ribs, beans, fries, and bread. The meat was all very good, the ribs were done perfectly and the meat fell right off the bone. The beans were different than your typical BBQ beans, there were several different variety's such as pinto, black, kidney, and with chunks of pork. Service was good to. They are still pretty new, the physical menu size was big, but when you got down to selection is was slim pick-ins. Which is fine, all I really wanted was BBQ. They had hamburgers, salads, and beer specials and some time we will go back for $.35 wings on Wednesday. I am not sure they have the name right, now that I think of it. It seems like it should be named Applewood BBQ & Bar. They had nightly beer specials, although no draft yet. I look forward to watching this place grow into there own. They have good food with a lot of potential.

If you read the comments below then you won't be surprised they closed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went for a fun evening with friends and ended up watching them mop the floor around us and putting up the unoccupied chairs (many)that surrounded us. What an atmosphere that was and a disrespect for our feelings! I can't believe how rude this was!

Jared said...

yeah, the atmosphere is not good and the staff isn't that great. but, the bbq is pretty dang good. the kid working in the back needs to realize he should be slicing the brisket across the grain. that was the only major problem i had. also, the sauce was much too thin for my tastes. good bbq tho.

Anonymous said...

As I love barbeque and new restaurants I went with a group to try this place out.

We were ignored by wait staff to the point we got up and left. Not so much as any acknowledgement we even existed.

Can't comment on the food except that other friends who have managed to get served, stated that time waiting for food varied, some food would be cold, drink refills were slow or non existent. No one was going back.