Saturday, December 1, 2007

Beef Stew

It was a cool dreary day in Kansas, and this was a good stick-to-the-ribs stew.
I made it up as I went along but here is the general guide. If you like more veggies, add more veggies same goes for seasoning. I am a real general cook, I cook to make it taste good to me and my husband. I make notes as I go along, and journal any good recipies for future use.

1 LB of Roast, cubed
1 T of Flour
dash of pepper and smoked salt
coat meat with four and pepper/salt

Heat
2 T of Olive Oil in Dutch Oven
add 1 t of Garlic

Once warm add meat mixture, and brown meat (letting the brown bits stick to the bottom),
add
1
1/2 of med onion sliced
and 1 C of Red Wine (whatever you like best)

Stir to remove brown bits

add
2 Cans of Broth Slowly, and stir
simmer with lid on for at least 30min, but can go longer on lower temp.
1-2C of Water, less if you don't let it reduce before adding tomato paste
add 1 Bay Leaf
2 t of Rosemary
1 t of Basil

remove lid after this step if you want to reduce down on low heat for about an hour

add
1 can of Tomato Paste and wisk in
1 1/2 cups (aprox) of cubed potatoes
1 cup of (aprox) of sliced carrots

bring to a boil and then simmer until potatoes are ready.

If not very thick, add Corn Starch Slurry (1 cup water + 1 T of Corn Starch) sometimes I use more cornstarch if needed.

Stir in and boil, then remove from heat, and serve.

We served over egg noodles. YUM!

No comments: