Saturday, August 27, 2011

Garden Fresh Stuffed Tomatoes, Steak Kabobs, and Herbed Rice

Stuffed Grilled Tomatoes

First get good hearty tomatoes. We purchased three that fit firmly in our hands.
Because I knew I wanted an onion flavor we picked up an onion roll out of the bakery case at the grocery store, we also grabbed a wheat roll to make bread crumbs out of. When we got home we cut up the bread into cubes and laid it out on a cookie sheet to dry it out, about 30m before I was about to cook dinner I put it in the oven for 5-10m on low 200deg to continue to dry out the bread to make crumbs. When we pulled out the bread we put it in a food processor and pulsed it a few times, so we had mix of sizes. Set aside.
Warm up grill.
Cut the tomatoes in half (side to side) and carefully pull out inside, we had one top that I put my thumb through. Which I had planned on having one or two that I screwed up. No big deal. Put the tomato meat and juice in a bowl and set aside. Put your hollowed out haves in a roasting pan for the grill. Line with foil or coat with oil.
Stuffing:
Add one clove of minced garlic to the bread crumbs, along with fresh -- 1t of thyme, 2t of parsley, 2 leaves of sage, and 2 T of green onions chopped up. Add in 1 egg and 1 T of Olive Oil, and if you need more moisture add a tablespoon or two of the tomato water to the stuffing mix.
Fill your tomatoes with stuffing, and top with slices of parmesan cheese.
Grill for 10-12m, until tomatoes are soft but not falling apart, and cheese is browning-slightly crusty.

No comments: