Sunday, August 21, 2011

Cooks Country Daisy Mae's Delight Cake

This is less about the recipe for the cake and more about my experience making the cake. I started out wanting to bake, I haven't done much all summer and it seems that I rarely have the time even when I want to. Usually I am too tired or stressed to even crack open a box and add some eggs and oil. However, Saturday I was determined and it seems that determination had to be tested by the kitchen. After reading several recipes and deciding that I was going to make a cake. I set out to make Cook's Country Daisy Mae's Delight out of America's Best Lost Recipes.
This recipe is different from regular cakes, instead of flour it has a special ingredient, graham crackers, and that I had plenty of in my cupboard. Due to summer fun and lots of Smore's I had three half opened boxes of graham crackers. After reading through the recipe I got out the cuisinart and started grinding up graham crackers.
I followed the recipe and even set-up two 9 in round pans to make a layer cake like the recipe suggested. I was out of Baker's Joy flour spray, and opted for the old fashioned grease and flour method. Put the cakes in the oven and went about cleaning up and taking care of other things around the house. Cakes smell wonderful. Timer dings and I pull them out and let them set according to the directions. Go to remove them from the pan and they stick, and then crumble out. I clean up the cake mess, and try a bit, surprisingly good. Upset that they tasted good but looked like mess, I decided making a layer cake isn't in the cards today. I quickly find a recipe for an old favorite Texas Sheet Cake and continue on. My husband comes into help out and starts on part of the cake and I work on the other, we get it together pretty quickly I double check a few measurements, and we begin to put the ingredients together in the kitchen aid mixer. I begin to think it looks thin, but keep on adding in the liquid. I get it all mixed and notice that it looks like soup. Give the recipe a quick glance, and I doubled the buttermilk. Frustrated and heartbroken, I go to the other room and my super sweet husband cleans up. I also believe he sampled a little bit of the cake soup. I have the items to make Daisy Mae's Cake one more time, yes I had that many graham crackers in my cupboard! We decide to put in a 9x13 and call it good. It bakes up lovely, and I made the frosting took it out to my parents house. We had fun playing guess the ingredient. With the cream cheese frosting it tasted more like carrot cake or zucchini than graham cracker. My husband said the kitchen missed me and that it played havoc on my baking so I would spend more time in there... I suppose I shall try to bake more regularly.

No comments: