Sunday, January 8, 2012

Trying something new... Canning!

Earlier this fall I was thinking about making and freezing chicken stock. I usually make a batch in January and freeze it to use throughout the year, but as I thawed some out to use this fall I noticed it getting watery. As I was contemplating this problem, Thanksgiving approached and I needed a container to put some turkey stock in that I had made I reached for a quart ball canning container. It all clicked for me as I looked at the jar sitting on the counter. After Thanksgiving I began to research the process of canning stock, and discovered I would need a pressure canner. I did some online research and some shopping around town and realized that this would be quite an investment for something I wasn't even sure I wanted to do.
Over the next week I looked at several recipes for canning stock, googled canning, and watched several videos before deciding that this would be a good investment. One evening I was discussing my new idea with my Dad and he asked if I would like a pressure canner for Christmas, I told him I would have to think on it. He was kind of excited and thought this could be fun and different.
Mom on the other hand quickly remembered her days of being forced into canning the entire garden with her mother. She informed me of how hot and miserable it was, and that it takes all day. Any fantasy I had that it would be quick and easy she made sure to shoot down quickly.
After giving it some thought and discussing it with Dad I said that it could be a nice Christmas present. I woke up Christmas morning to find that Santa had a box special for me, and indeed it was a pressure canner. A nice big one too!
This last Saturday afternoon we all got together in my parents nice big kitchen and made 16 pints of chicken stock, with more ideas of items to come. A new hobby for me and my family.

No comments: