Monday, August 18, 2008

Review: Garozzo's Spicy Hot Diablo Sauce

I have seen this sauce at our local Hy-Vee Grocery, and have been interested in trying it. I finally felt like I had the perfect dish to put it on, see next post.

Right out of the jar, my first flavor was sugar. This flavor really surprised me as I read the ingredients prior to purchasing. Sugar was pretty far down on the list. The next flavor was a more robust flavor of tomatoes, and wine. Contrary to the "Spicy Hot" label, it wasn't that strong on heat. However, it went really well with the dish I created for dinner. The sugar flavor mellowed, and with the fresh tomatoes it really tasted like a full bodied homemade sauce. After a few bites into the dish I started to pick up on the heat, but it wasn't so overbearing you couldn't eat it. I wouldn't use it for bread or appetizer dipping sauce, but cooks up well. Might be good in baked pasta dish.

Would I buy it again? Maybe.

No comments: